While you are welcome to just come along and listen to our lectures, you will get much more out of your membership if you get involved. You don’t have to do this on your own, committee members and others with local knowledge and interest are able to help.
- Do you have a question about the village’s history? Someone might be able to answer – but have a go at finding out and adding to the SLHS archive.
- Do you know the history of your house? When was it built? Who lived there? What was it used for? We are hoping to build a set of “House Histories” and your contribution would be a welcome addition.
- Have you a collection of local photos (yours or inherited) which you are prepared to share on the History Drive. It is always interesting to see how people lived, worked and got about; future generations will be equally interested in our way of life.
- We are trying to keep the Local in Slimbridge Local History Society which means we want interesting items about Slimbridge Parish and its immediate surroundings. Do you have a story you could tell at one of our meetings? (Help available with research and putting a presentation together).
- Do you have stories or photographs of events happening now which would fit in the “Diary” section of the History Drive?
- Are you a member of one of the many Parish Societies with material to submit? Donate photographs, minutes, details of events to SLHS and we will keep it for the interest of future readers. You might be surprised how quickly we can forget when something happened, or who was involved!
- We can arrange to record a video or audio with those who have memories and reminiscences of the parish. These are invariably fun and provide a lasting memory of parish characters.
- Do you have ideas for future events (lectures, visits etc.)?
Most of all, this is your Society – help make it work well.
If you want to get involved either speak to a Committee Member or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your idea.